Do you know who are the richest people in the world? No, well, we’ve got it covered. And these guys have it covered as well! The richest people in the world have made their fortunes across a number of fields – technology, investment, software, retail, fashion, automobile, telecom, luxury goods, and so on. Interestingly enough, most of them are heavy-handed with philanthropy as well.
Intrigued? Read on to find out more!
15. Jim Walton – Net Worth: $64.3 Billion
- The Waltons are the heir to one of the most well-known names in America – Wal-Mart. The family controls more than 50% of the Wal-Mart Corporation, and combined are worth at least $150 billion based on Forbes' wealth estimates.
- Jim Walton, the youngest son of the Sam Walton (who built the Wal-Mart chain), is currently worth $64.3 billion.
- Jim sat on Walmart’s board for more than a decade before yielding the seat to his son, Steuart, in June 2016.
- Jim’s sister, Alice Walton, is worth $65.9 billion whereas Rob Walton, the eldest brother is worth $65.3 billion.
- Rob retired as chairman in June 2015 and was replaced by his son-in-law, Greg Penner. He still sits on Walmart’s board.
- Alice Walton is the only daughter of Walmart founder Sam Walton. She has focused on curating art, rather than working for Walmart like her siblings, Rob and Jim.
14. Amancio Ortega – Net Worth: $65.7 Billion
- Arnault is the wealthiest European on the list.
The Frenchman oversees an empire of more than 60 brands including Louis Vuitton
- The seventh richest person in the world Amancio Ortega is the founder of fast-fashion label ZARA.
- With an estimated worth of $67.8 billion, Ortega owns 59% of Inditex, the world’s largest clothing retailer that owns Zara, Pull&Bear, Bershka, Massimo Dutti, Stradivarius, and other brands. The 82-year-old Spaniard fiercely guards his privacy and gives few interviews to the press.
13. Francoise Bettencourt Meyes and Family – Net Worth: $65.8 Billion
- The granddaughter of L'Oreal's founder, Francoise Bettencourt Meyers is the richest woman in the world with an estimated Net-worth of $63.4 Billion.
- Bettencourt Meyers and her family own 33% of L'Oreal stock.
- In 2019, L'Oreal recorded its best sales growth in more than a decade.
- She has served on L'Oreal's board since 1997 and is chairwoman of the company.
12. Sergey Brin – Net Worth: $66.5 Billion
- Cofounder of Google, Sergey Brin is worth $70.8 billion.
- He cofounded Google with Larry Page in 1998 after the two met at Stanford University while studying for advanced degrees in computer science.
- Sergey Brin stepped down as president of Alphabet, parent company of Google, in December 2019 but remains a controller shareholder and a board member. Brin is reportedly funding a high-tech airship project.
11. Larry Page – Net Worth: $68.3 Billion
- With an estimated worth of $72.8 billion, Larry Page cofounded Google and Google’s PageRank algorithm, which powers the search engine.
- Larry Page stepped down as CEO of Alphabet, the parent of Google, in December 2019 but remains a board member and a controlling shareholder.
- He is a founding investor in space exploration company Planetary Resources and is also funding "flying car" startups Kitty Hawk and Opener.
10. Carlos Slim Helu & Family – Net Worth: $68.9 Billion
- Worth at $52.5 billion Mexico's richest man, Carlos Slim Helu and his family control America Movil, Latin America's biggest mobile telecom firm.
- With foreign telecom partners, Slim bought a stake in Telmex, Mexico’s only phone company, in 1990.
- Telmex is now part of America Movil. He also owns stakes in Mexican construction, consumer goods, mining and real estate companies and 17% of The New York Times.
9. Steve Ballmer – Net Worth: $70.4 Billion
- Now worth $77 billion, Steve Ballmer is the former CEO of Microsoft, who led the company from 2000 to 2014.
- Ballmer oversaw Microsoft at a difficult time, after the first dot-com crash and through efforts to catch Google in search and Apple in mobile phones.
- The same year he retired from Microsoft he bought the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.
8. Larry Ellison – Net Worth: $75.0 Billion
- The well-known cofounder of Oracle, Ellison is worth $75.0 billion today.
- He gave up the Oracle CEO role in 2014 but still serves as chairman of the board and chief technology officer.
- Ellison joined the renowned electric car manufacturer Tesla’s board in December 2018, after purchasing 3 million Tesla shares earlier. Ellison also shares a close friendship with the owner of Tesla, Elon Musk.
7. Elon Musk – Net Worth: $79.6 Billion
- Elon Musk is the founder and CEO of SpaceX and Tesla. He's estimated to be worth $70.2 billion.
6. Bernard Arnault & Family – Net Worth: $80.2 Billion
- French businessman Bernard Arnault is chairman and CEO of LVMH, the world’s biggest luxury goods company.
- The company owns some of the biggest brands on earth including Louis Vuitton, Hennessey, Bulgari, Marc Jacobs, Dior, Sephora, and many more.
- Worth a $80.2 billion, Arnault rules the LVMH empire alongside his children who hold key positions at the various brands.
5. Warren Buffet – Net Worth: $82.4 Billion
- Warren Buffet is amongst the most famous names on the planet. Why?
- Self-made investor Buffett runs Berkshire Hathaway, which owns more than 60 companies, including insurer Geico, battery maker Duracell and restaurant chain Dairy Queen.
- Now worth $82.4 billion, he first bought stock at age 11 and first filed taxes at age 13. He’s promised to donate over 99% of his wealth. So far, he has given more than $41 billion away.
4. Mukesh Ambani – Net Worth: $88.9 Billion
- Worth $88.9 billion, Indian Ambani has a 42% controlling stake in Reliance Industries, which is the owner of the world’s largest oil refining complex.
- He is also the owner of property worth more than $400m.
3. Mark Zuckerberg – Net Worth: $107.8 Billion
- A name which needs no introduction is Mark Zuckerberg, the well-known owner of Facebook is now worth a whopping $107.8 billion.
- This makes him the youngest centi-billionaire in the world. Mark and his wife, pediatrician Priscilla Chan, have pledged to give away 99 percent of their stake in Facebook during their lifetimes.
2. Bill Gates – Net Worth: $115.3 Billion
- Set at number two is the co-founder of tech behemoth Microsoft, Bill Gates, who is estimated to be worth a $115.3 billion.
- Once a tech wizard, now turned philanthropist, Gates aims to distribute most of his wealth through his foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the world’s largest private charitable foundation.
- Gates has now stepped down as a board member of Microsoft.
1. Jeff Bezos – Net Worth: $200 Billion
- The world’s richest man for three years running, Jeff Bezos’ net worth has set new records.
- Worth a whopping $200 billion, Bezos is the founder and owner of Amazon.
- The e-commerce giant has reaped the benefits of the ongoing pandemic, with more and more people opting for online shopping.
- Amazon’s stock has gone up by 86% in 2020.
That rounds off our list of the top 12 richest people in the world!
Got any names to add in this list? Let us know in the comments below!